It’s that time of the year where we bid Au Revoir to winter and start prepping for spring.
Since it’s spring, most people are itching to get their lawns green, lush and healthy!
And why not? It’s the ideal time to mow lawns and enhance its aesthetic beauty.
Moreover, it comes with certain benefits like elimination of pest and weeds and getting rid of the winter slush and debris.
However, there are several of hazards also, accidents that happen. People end up with crushed bones, loss of fingers and toes, amputations, and in some worse cases, death.
Both adults and kids are prone to injury due to lawn mowing
In fact, lately, it’s the kids who have been more prone to lawn mowing hazards.
According to a recent study, lawn mower injuries send at least 13 children to the emergency department every day.
However, there’s no such risk that can’t be prevented. Like the saying goes, ‘Prevention is better than cure’.
Let’s first look at how unsupervised and careless lawn mowing is dangerous!
There are a number of dangers irresponsible lawn mowing is susceptible to.
1. Causes Fire
The first lawn mowing risk is that it can cause a fire.
Yes, you read that correctly.
In a few cases, people used the mower and immediately after its use, place it alongside gasoline while it was still hot.
2. Getting Run Over
There are so many cases of both, adults and kids getting run over by lawn mowers.
They can lose their toes and break their bones.
Examples of kids are severe; they are as young as two years old.
3. Severe Injuries
The most common severe injury is due to a body part getting stuck in the blades of lawn mowers.
There are hundred thousand cases of people losing their body parts because of the blades.
4. Distracted While Riding Lawn Mowers
Lawns mowers that can be ridden are also quite dangerous if you’re not paying attention.
There have been cases where they have overturned and crushed the driver. Some resulting in grave injuries and some, even death.
The blades of these mowers rotate at 200mph and can propel any rock, pebble, debris or any little piece of metal in your lawn at an incredible speed resulting in damage to eyes or face.
Sometimes, it also results in 100% blinding of the person.
5. Manufacturing Defect
In a few cases, it’s also a manufacturing defect.
Unfortunately, this is something that can’t be predicted. But investing in a good quality lawn mower can certainly reduce the risk of injuries due to manufacturing defects.
Some common flaws include improper design, inadequate instructions and warning label, rollover defects and parts or blades that break easily.
So while buying a lawn mower, check everything you can about that brand and model.
Do all the background checks that are necessary. Consult good companies and buy the best piece in terms of safety and performance.
Let’s take a look at a few do’s and don’ts of lawn mowing that will ensure you and your family’s safety this spring.
Do’s and Don’ts of Lawn Mowing that You MUST Follow
1. If you need to refill in the middle of mowing, wait for it to cool down.
2. Ensure your kids and pets are indoors when you’re mowing your lawn.
3. Wear proper clothing like long pants and boots.
4. Check lawn for rocks, pebbles, glass pieces, metal pieces or any debris.
5. Using a walk behind mower? Mow the slopes across.
6. Mow slopes up and down when using a riding mower.
7. Service mower once in 6 months or at least annually.
8. Turn off the engine and unplug it before checking or servicing it.
9. Working in the sun? Always use sunscreen
10. If your kids are old enough, brief them about how lawn mowers work and their safety features.
1. Place a lawn mower next to gasoline or refill it while it’s still hot.
2. Make your kids ride the mower along with you.
3. Wear flip-flops while mowing the lawn.
4. Mow wet grass.
5. Mow up and down when using a walk behind mower.
6. Mow across when using a riding mower.
If you don’t have proper knowledge of lawn mowers and are not sure how to use it correctly or don’t have the time and are busy with your professional life, then it’s always better to get in touch with a lawn mowing service professional near you. All said and done, taking precaution is extremely crucial. The damages can be caused at any time and once the damage is done, it can’t be undone!
Same Day Pros has an exhaustive list of lawn mowing service professionals. You can easily hire one here. You can also download the Same Day Pros app, available for Android and iOS.
Follow our Facebook and LinkedIn pages, Twitter handle and Instagram for more tips, tricks, and hacks on lawn mowing.